When Apple announced its streaming service, it did so by heavily advertising a few key shows and personalities. From Jason Mamoa in See to Steve Carrell in The Morning Show, the service has a small, but unique content library and list of titles for its Apple TV+ streaming service.
We’ll match you to the best live TV streaming service in under 5 minutes.Start Now
How Much Content is Available On-Demand From Apple TV+?
There’s not much content currently available on Apple TV+. The service had only a handful of original TV shows, movies, and other content at launch. As of this time of writing, there are 50+ individual titles available on Apple TV+. More are scheduled before the end of 2021. That library is set to expand as Apple plans to spend several billion dollars per year on new content.
Why does Apple TV+ have such a small library? Mostly because Apple has never owned or created content in the past. The company additionally decided not to license content for its service, instead opting to start from scratch with all original content.
What Kind of Content Can I Expect From the Apple TV+ On-Demand Library?
Apple TV+ features a little bit of everything. There’s currently at least one series, TV show, or documentary in the following genres:
- Science fiction
- Kids and family
- Unscripted Reality
Apple plans to add more content in those genres and will likely expand to other genres, as well.
Does Apple TV+ On-Demand Content Have Commercials?
All Apple TV+ content comes commercial-free. This is in stark contrast to services like Hulu on-demand and CBS All Access, both of which make subscribers pay extra for an ad-free experience. And even Disney+ has a minor amount of ads for some content based on its licensing buy-back agreement with Starz.
That said, one might encounter various types of product placement advertising for Apple devices inserted into Apple TV+ programming.
What Apps Can I Use to Watch Apple TV+ On-Demand?
As is common with Apple, the company primarily only offers apps for its own devices. However, it did slightly expand beyond the Apple product line to include a select few devices and operating systems.
The entire line-up of supported devices and operating systems includes:
- TV streaming media players: Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, Roku
- Smart TVs: Samsung Smart TVs, Roku TVs, Vizio TVs
- Mobile devices and tablets: iOS phones, iPads, iPod Touch
- Game consoles: None
- Desktop browsers: Most common Mac and Windows browsers, such as Safari, Chrome, and Firefox
Apple TV+ Content Library (Available Now)
At present, Apple TV+ includes no licensed content. Every TV show, movie, documentary, etc., is originally created and produced. The service includes titles such as:
- The Morning Show (Drama, TV Series)
- See (Sci-Fi Drama, TV Series)
- For All Mankind (Sci-Fi Drama, TV Series)
- Dickinson (Comedy, TV Series)
- Ghostwriter (Kids and Family, TV Series)
- Helpsters (Kids and Family, TV Series)
- Snoopy in Space (Kids and Family, Shorts)
- Oprah’s Book Club (Talk Show, TV Series)
- The Elephant Queen (Nature Documentary, Movie)
- Little America (Anthology, Comedy/Drama)
- Mythic Question: Raven’s Banquet (Comedy)
- Visible: Out on Television (Docuseries)
- Hala (Drama, Movie)
- Servant (Drama, TV Series)
- Truth Be Told (Drama, TV Series)
Check out Apple TV+ for a complete list.
Apple TV+ Content Library (Upcoming)
Apple has big plans for 2021. Its new content plans include major names and IPs, including:
- Foundation (based on the famous Isaac Asimov series)
- Lisey’s Story
- The Mosquito Coast
- Echo 3
When Will Apple TV+ Get More Content?
With its planned content spending, Apple TV+ should get more content into 2021 and beyond. We recommend you check out Apple TV+ to get a full and complete list of available content.
Sam Cook is a full-time content strategist by day, a part-time freelance content writer since 2015. In another life, he was a high school English teacher for nearly a decade. Based in sunny New Orleans, he writes long-form educational content on technology, including Insurtech, Fintech, HRtech, and content streaming. He loves whittling down complex ideas within these areas that make decisions easier for buyers. When he’s not reading books with his son Miles and playing video games with the family, you can find him immersed in his growing collection of Euro-style board games.