What to know about recent changes made between HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video
Entering the streaming space in May 2020, HBO Max became WarnerMedia’s go-to streaming destination for all of its hit movies and shows. HBO Max replaced HBO’s older streaming services, HBO Now and HBO Go. This upgraded streaming service not only offers users an expansion of HBO’s cable library, including access to WarnerMedia’s other properties (DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network), it also gives Disney+ and Netflix some strong competition.
Amazon Prime Channels are monthly subscriptions that Amazon Prime and or Amazon Prime Video subscribers can add to their memberships. For an extra monthly fee, members get access to additional content to their existing Prime Video membership from many popular networks and services, including programs like Paramount Plus, Showtime, Starz, and up until recently, HBO Max.
If you look for HBO Max on Amazon Prime Video, you won’t find it anymore. While this news isn’t surprising, the departure announcement came in November 2020 — no one knew precisely when it would happen.
This change doesn’t impact those using Amazon Channels to stream HBO Max before the split. Weren’t grandfathered in? Not sure where to watch HBO Max now? You’ve come to the right place. We’ve rounded up all the info you need to know — including how and where you can get HBO Max outside of Amazon Prime.
How much is it to watch HBO Max?
HBO Max subscriptions are available through many providers (provider is who you signed up through or who bills you for HBO). Subscription plans (With Ads or Ad-Free) and monthly or yearly billing depend on your subscription provider.
HBO Max plans
Cost: $9.99/month or $99.99/year (16% savings)
- Access to more than 10,000 hours of series, movies, and exclusive originals
- View in HD
Cost: $14.99/month or $149.99/year (16% savings)
- Access to over 10,000 hours of series, movies, and exclusive originals
- Watch in HD, with select movies available in 4K UHD
- Stream Warner Bros. 2021 premieres the same day they hit theaters
- The ability to download shows and movies to watch offline
How to start streaming HBO Max
If you had HBO through Prime Video, you still have access to HBO Max by signing in with your Prime Video credentials. You can also use HBO Max on Amazon Fire TV devices by signing up for the service directly.
Don’t have cable? No problem! You can still watch HBO Live, even without cable.
If you subscribe to HBO through one of the providers below, you may get access to an HBO Max plan at no additional cost.
- Apple TV Channels
- Verizon Fios
- YouTube TV
Download the HBO Max app on a supported device, sign in through your TV, digital, or mobile provider, and start streaming.
If you have HBO without a TV package
If you currently subscribe to HBO through one of the below companies, you can access the HBO Max Ad-Free version at no additional cost.
- Google Play
- Roku Channel Store
- Samsung TV
- Consolidated Communications
- North State
- Service Electric Cablevision
- Verizon Fios
- Ziply Fiber
Download the HBO Max app and sign in with your existing HBO email and password. Once you are signed in, choose “Access all of HBO Max” and start streaming instantly.
You can also access a complete list of providers here.
What devices support HBO Max?
HBO Max is available to watch on a ton of devices.
Phone or Tablet
The following phones and tablets support HBO Max:
- Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (iOS 12.2 or later)
- Android phone and tablets (Android OS 5 or later)
- Amazon Fire tablets (4th generation and later)
You just need to download the HBO Max app on your phone or tablet and sign in.
Computers and Browsers
Access HBO Max using the following computers:
- PC with Windows 7 or later
- Mac with macOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later
- Google Chromebooks with Chrome browser version 78 or later
The following browsers are also supported:
- The latest version of Chrome or Firefox
- The newest version of Microsoft Edge for Windows
- Safari version 12 or later
To stream on your computer, go to HBOMax.com and sign in.
The following TV’s are supported. Whichever TV you might be using, simply download the HBO Max app and sign in to start streaming.
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5
- Cox Contour 2 and Contour Stream Player– You will need to press the Home or Contour button on your Cox voice remote, select Apps, and select HBO Max. Now, you can sign in and start streaming.
- Samsung TV (2016 models or later)– For a complete list of supported Samsung TV models, go to HBO Max on Samsung TV and choose Compatible devices in the upper-right corner.
- Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
- Newer Samsung Smart TVs
- Xfinity X1 and Flex– Press the Home or Xfinity button on your Xfinity voice remote, select Apps, and then select HBO Max.
If you don’t see your device listed above, there are a few other ways to stream HBO Max on your TV:
- Chromecast: Cast HBO Max from your phone, tablet, or computer to your TV.
- AirPlay: Stream HBO Max to your AirPlay 2-compatible device.
- HDMI cable: Connect your laptop, phone, or tablet to your TV.
Eliminating HBO Max from Amazon Prime Video Channels was always part of the plan. While this may seem negative, there are still plenty of options to binge shows like Friends, The Bang Theory, and The West Wing.
No matter where you decide to stream HBO Max, you’re sure to be happy with all the content available in both plans.