If you look for HBO Max on Amazon Prime Video, you won’t find it anymore. While this news isn’t surprising, the departure announcement came in November 2020 — no one knew precisely when it would happen. There has been recent chatter about the two services collaborating once again, but nothing is official yet. We’ll be tracking all of the updates here.
Luckily this change doesn’t impact those using Amazon Prime Video to stream HBO Max before the split. However if you weren’t grandfathered in, we’ve rounded up all the info you need to know — including how and where you can get HBO Max outside of Amazon Prime Video.
Affiliate Disclosure: Flixed.io may receive an affiliate commission from product sales generated through these affiliate links.
How much is it to watch HBO Max?
As of Fall 2021, HBO Max is no longer available as an add-on service through Amazon Prime Video. Prime Video subscribers who had the HBO Max add-on should have received a refund for any remaining days on their subscription. Unfortunately, the only way that Prime subscribers can keep up with the great content on HBO Max is by subscribing directly to this service or one of its bundles.
HBO Max subscriptions are now available through many providers (provider is who you signed up through or who bills you for HBO). Subscription plans (With Ads or Ad-Free) and monthly or yearly billing depend on your subscription provider.
If you want to try HBO Max before committing to a month, you can do so through Hulu. Hulu subscribers can add HBO Max to their subscription for 7 days of free access. Once the free trial period expires, you’ll be billed at $14.99 per month for the HBO Max add-on. If that sounds confusing, don’t worry — we’ve got you covered with our guide on how to get an HBO Max free trial!
Now With Disney+ and ESPN+Subscribe Now
HBO Max Plans and Pricing
HBO Max With Ads
Cost: $9.99/month or $99.99/year (16% savings)
- Access to more than 10,000 hours of series, movies, and exclusive originals
- View in HD
HBO Max Ad-Free
Cost: $14.99/month or $149.99/year (16% savings)
- Access to over 10,000 hours of series, movies, and exclusive originals
- Watch in HD, with select movies available in 4K UHD
- Stream Warner Bros. 2021 premieres the same day they hit theaters
- The ability to download shows and movies to watch offline
How to Start Streaming HBO Max
If you had HBO through Prime Video, you won’t have access to HBO Max by signing in with your Prime Video credentials anymore. However you can still use HBO Max on Amazon Fire TV devices, but you’ll need to sign up for the service directly.
Don’t have cable? No problem! You can still watch HBO Live, even without cable.
If you subscribe to HBO through one of the providers below, you may get access to an HBO Max plan at no additional cost.
- Apple TV Channels
- Verizon Fios
- YouTube TV
Download the HBO Max app on a supported device, sign in through your TV, digital, or mobile provider, and start streaming.
How to Watch HBO Max Without Cable
If you currently subscribe to HBO through one of the below companies, you can access the HBO Max Ad-Free version at no additional cost.
- Google Play
- Roku Channel Store
- Samsung TV
- Consolidated Communications
- North State
- Service Electric Cablevision
- Verizon Fios
- Ziply Fiber
Download the HBO Max app and sign in with your existing HBO email and password. Once you are signed in, choose “Access all of HBO Max” and start streaming instantly.
You can also access a complete list of providers here.
What Devices Support HBO Max?
HBO Max is available to watch on a ton of devices.
Phone or Tablet
The following phones and tablets support HBO Max:
- Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (iOS 12.2 or later)
- Android phone and tablets (Android OS 5 or later)
- Amazon Fire tablets (4th generation and later)
You just need to download the HBO Max app on your phone or tablet and sign in.
Computers and Browsers
Access HBO Max using the following computers:
- PC with Windows 7 or later
- Mac with macOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later
- Google Chromebooks with Chrome browser version 78 or later
The following browsers are also supported:
- The latest version of Chrome or Firefox
- The newest version of Microsoft Edge for Windows
- Safari version 12 or later
To stream on your computer, go to HBOMax.com and sign in.
The following TV’s are supported. Whichever TV you might be using, simply download the HBO Max app and sign in to start streaming.
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5
- Cox Contour 2 and Contour Stream Player– You will need to press the Home or Contour button on your Cox voice remote, select Apps, and select HBO Max. Now, you can sign in and start streaming.
- Samsung TV (2016 models or later)– For a complete list of supported Samsung TV models, go to HBO Max on Samsung TV and choose Compatible devices in the upper-right corner.
- Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
- Newer Samsung Smart TVs
- Xfinity X1 and Flex– Press the Home or Xfinity button on your Xfinity voice remote, select Apps, and then select HBO Max.
If you don’t see your device listed above, there are a few other ways to stream HBO Max on your TV:
- Chromecast: Cast HBO Max from your phone, tablet, or computer to your TV.
- AirPlay: Stream HBO Max to your AirPlay 2-compatible device.
- HDMI cable: Connect your laptop, phone, or tablet to your TV.
Eliminating HBO Max from Amazon Prime Video Channels was always part of the plan. While this may seem negative, there are still plenty of options to binge shows like Friends, The Bang Theory, and The West Wing.
No matter where you decide to stream HBO Max, you’re sure to be happy with all the content available in both plans.
Other ways to watch HBO Max
Now that HBO Max isn’t available as an add-on with Prime Video, Prime subscribers looking to hang on to HBO Max will have to sign up with HBO directly or bundle HBO with another streaming service like YouTube TV or Hulu + Live TV. Adding HBO Max to Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV will cost an extra $14.99 per month.
However, one of the perks of adding HBO Max to your existing Hulu or YouTube TV subscription is that you can consolidate your streaming expenses, which may help you keep tabs on your entertainment budget!
If you’d rather subscribe directly to HBO Max, you get to choose between two subscription levels. The ad-supported subscription starts at $9.99. This plan gives you access to the same catalog of shows and movies that come with the ad-free version, with one exception — it doesn’t grant you access to same-day movie premiers. This perk is exclusive to the premium, ad-free version of HBO Max, which will run you $14.99 per month.