If you’ve got a recent version of Windows, you have all the software you need to run the awesome open source entertainment suite known as Kodi. Kodi will run on Vista on up, but Kodi’s developers recommend upgrading to at least Windows 7 before you install. If you’re looking into how to install Kodi on Windows 10, the entire process should only take you a few minutes.
- 1 Before we Proceed
- 2 How to Install Kodi on Windows 10
- 3 Free TV sounds good. But what’s the catch?
- 4 What is ISP Throttling?
- 5 Why would an ISP slow down the web on purpose?
- 6 How to avoid getting throttled
- 7 Why more and more people are relying on VPN services
- 8 What’s the best VPN for Kodi?
- 9 What are 3rd party Kodi addons?
- 10 What are Kodi builds?
- 11 What are Kodi skins?
- 12 Is it true that you can watch sports games for free on Kodi?
- 13 What else can you do with Kodi?
- 14 Remember: Kodi is free
Before we Proceed
We highly recommend using a VPN when using Kodi. Kodi users have been known to receive copyright infringement notices for streaming movies, sports, and TV shows through various addons. If you would like to keep your streaming habits private, our recommendation is IPVanish - a complete privacy solution for Kodi users. It's also worth noting that purchasing a 12 month subscription will give you two months free.
How to Install Kodi on Windows 10
Your first step to installing Kodi on your Windows 10 computer is to head over to the official Kodi download page: https://kodi.tv/download/
Note: Don’t worry about looking for a specific Windows 10 version of Kodi. The Kodi website will detect the fact that you’re running Windows 10. Then, it’ll direct you to the page you need to go to download it.
Next, you’ll have to pick out the version of Kodi you want to try. The most stable version right now is Kodi 16. However, you can also choose to download Kodi 17 instead.
Tip: Kodi 16 is also referred to as Kodi Jarvis.
Personally, I plan on waiting a while before I try out Kodi 17 (aka Kodi Krypton). Krypton is brand new. 3rd party developers haven’t quite caught up with it yet, plus Krypton is probably still full of bugs.
After downloading, open up the execution file: kodi-[version number].[version name].exe.
Kodi’s installation wizard is very user friendly. Just follow its instructions, and then proceed to enjoy Kodi!
Free TV sounds good. But what’s the catch?
Actually, there isn’t any. Kodi has no ads, plus it’s 100% free.
You don’t have to give out your email, sign up for free trials or wade through popups to use all the best Kodi software. That’s why so many Kodi users opt to cancel their cable subscriptions.
Streaming technology provides much needed relief to consumers. But corporations that produce and distribute entertainment content are losing money.
However, the legal status of Kodi’s 3rd party addons is somewhat complicated.
As long as you stick to streaming and don’t download any copyrighted files, you won’t wind up in legal trouble. You might, however, experience “bandwidth throttling.”
What is ISP Throttling?
ISP throttling occurs when an ISP (Internet Service Provider) intentionally targets a group of users and slows down their internet connections.
Why would an ISP slow down the web on purpose?
Kodi users, YouTubers and Netflix subscribers are clogging up the internet. But instead of upgrading their infrastructure to accommodate web 2.0, some ISPs have chosen to resort to throttling instead.
If you decide to cancel your cable subscription and use Kodi to stream all your favorite shows for free, there’s a chance that your ISP will try to throttle you.
T-Mobile, Sky, Qwest, iBurst, Virgin and AT&T are just a few of the major ISPs that have been criticized for throttling their customers in recent years.
How to avoid getting throttled
The best way to avoid getting throttled is to invest in a Virtual Private Network service– aka, a VPN.
Without a VPN, your ISP can easily target you for streaming and slow you down. But with a VPN switched on, your ISP won’t be able to treat you any differently.
Why more and more people are relying on VPN services
A good VPN will prevent your ISP from discriminating against you for canceling your cable subscription. But that’s just one reason to subscribe to a Virtual Private Network.
Here are 10 more things you can do when you use a VPN to browse the web:
- Get access to the full Netflix content catalogue. If you live outside the USA, geoblocks are preventing you from seeing all the movies and shows that American Netflix users get to watch. But you can overcome those geoblocks by logging in through an American VPN server.
- Avoid getting tracked for using P2P software. If you like to use programs like Transmission and Bittorrent, there’s a big chance that Big Brother is watching you and taking notes on the type of files that you’re sharing– unless you’re using a VPN to use the internet incognito.
- Prevent data theft when connected to public Wi-Fi. Hackers can easily gain access to your computer when you connect to the web via at coffee shops and other public places. But if you’re connected to a VPN, they won’t be able to take advantage of you.
- Block hackers from listening in on your Skype phone calls. So long as they have the right tools, even intermediate level hackers can easily eavesdrop on your VOIP telephone conversations. But if you have a VPN, there’s no way they can intercept your data.
- Put an end to search engine tracking & monitoring. Search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo track what you search for so that they can deliver ads that you want to see. But if your search engine history falls into the wrong hands, it can be used to embarrass you. VPNs allow you to browse the web without leaving a trail of footsteps behind.
- Watch geo-blocked content when traveling abroad. Hulu and other popular streaming services are only available to internet users who connect to the web through an American server. But if you use a VPN service that has a server that’s located in the United States, you’ll be able to spoof your location and watch all your favorite shows wherever you go.
- Research sensitive or controversial websites. If you’re a journalist or if you have a job that requires you to view confidential information, a VPN subscription will allow you to conduct your business in total privacy.
- Access sites that your University doesn’t want you to see. Some colleges try to prevent their students from accessing certain sites. But if you connect to a VPN, you can go anywhere and do anything you like on any type of web network.
- Access sites that your government doesn’t want you to see. North Koreans and Chinese internet users rely on VPN connections to interact with the free world.
- Support internet freedom. If every internet user flipped on a VPN service every time they logged on to the web, the “powers-that-be” would have no way to regulate, limit or control it.
What’s the best VPN for Kodi?
We’ve reviewed a lot of different VPN services. But the one we always recommend to our readers is IPVanish.
IPVanish is the overall best VPN for streamers because it’s one of the only VPN services that actually speeds up your connection instead of slowing it down. NordVPN is also quite good because it has a few advanced security features that IPVanish lacks.
|$6.49 / month||Visit Site|
|$5.75 / month||Visit Site|
|$3.33 / month||Visit Site|
|$8.32 / month||Visit Site|
|$8.25 / month||Visit Site|
What are 3rd party Kodi addons?
Note: We highly recommend that you sign up with a VPN service provider before installing any 3rd party Kodi addon.
Because Kodi is open source software, anyone who wants to can create and release Kodi addons.
3rd party Kodi addons are made by developers that are not affiliated with (or endorsed by) the people that make the official Kodi software.
With 3rd party addons, you can stream just about any type of content you can imagine: HD movies, TV shows, live sports games, anime, documentaries, foreign language channels, cartoons and much, much more.
The best part about 3rd party addons is that they are nearly all of them are 100% free.
Here are some links to some addon guides that will help get you started:
- Best Kodi Addons 2017 – The Complete Guide. If you want to find out what Kodi addons are all about, our 2017 guide is a great place to start.
- Best Live TV Addons for Kodi 2017 – Watch Live TV on Kodi. Live TV feeds tend to go up and down a lot. But if you have the best and most up-to-date live TV addons, you’ll run into less dead links.
- Best Kodi Addons for Movies 2017 – Watch Movies on Kodi. Gain access to thousands of new and classic movies by downloading and installing these awesome movie addons.
- Best HD Video Addons for Kodi 2017 – Watch HD Movies on Kodi. This article focuses on movie addons that have large HD movie catalogs.
- Best Kodi Addons for Cartoons 2017 – Watch Cartoons on Kodi. Get these addons and your kids will be able to watch their favorite Saturday morning cartoons any time of the day.
What are Kodi builds?
If you want to spice up your Kodi a bit, you may want to try downloading a Kodi build. Builds transform the way Kodi looks and feels. Also, builds include lots of 3rd party addons. Addons enhance Kodi’s functionality and allow you to do things like stream movies and live sports games.
At the beginning of every month, I cover the latest and greatest Kodi builds that the Kodi community has to offer. Check out the February 2017 edition of my monthly Kodi build roundup.
What are Kodi skins?
Each Kodi build comes with its own customized set of addons. But if you are happy with the Kodi addons that you have and you only want to change the way Kodi looks, what you need is a new Kodi skin.
Check out the article below to view screenshots of 10 of Kodi’s most popular skins.
Is it true that you can watch sports games for free on Kodi?
Yes. There are tons of great 3rd party sports addons that allow you to watch live sports games. Other sports addons feature huge archives of classic shows from back in the day.
- Best Live Sports Addons for Kodi 2017 – Watch Live Sports on Kodi. This article is an awesome resource for getting familiar with best sports addons that Kodi has to offer.
- Watch NFL on Kodi 2016-2017 Season – Live Stream Guide. These NFL addons allow you to watch American football games online for free.
- Watch College Football on Kodi 2016-2017 – Live Stream Guide. Watch your favorite college football team live with these awesome college football centric addons.
- How to Watch NBA on Kodi 2016-2017 Season – NBA Kodi Addons. This article reveals how to get all the best professional basketball addons.
- How to Watch College Basketball on Kodi – NCAA on Kodi. When March Madness rolls around, just fire up Kodi and pull up a stream.
- How to Watch UFC on Kodi: Best MMA/UFC Kodi Addons. If you’re into mixed martial arts, you won’t go wrong with these addons.
- Watch English Premier League (EPL) on Kodi 2016-2017. If you live outside of the UK, EPL games are hard to find– but not if you know which addons to use.
What else can you do with Kodi?
Kodi is open source software. That means that anyone who wants to can create and distribute new Kodi extensions (called “addons”) for free, without having to worry about licensing fees.
Most people use Kodi to stream TV shows, movies and sports games. But you can also use Kodi to do other cool stuff, like:
- Read digital comic books
- Display incoming text messages from your smartphone
- Connect to a security camera
- And a whole lot more
For more info, check out our Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Kodi.
Remember: Kodi is free
Recently, shady vendors have started selling so-called “fully loaded” Kodi boxes to people who don’t know that Kodi is free.
Most fully loaded boxes are just cheap Raspberry Pi computers dressed up to look like expensive media players.
Don’t be fooled by scam artists. You don’t need any special hardware to run Kodi. And you don’t need to pay anyone anything to use Kodi software.