From Samsung to Acer, there are dozens of Android tablets on the market. For the most part, Android tablet users are turning to these portable devices for entertainment purposes, such as gaming and streaming. They are also the perfect devices for Kodi streaming. As all Android tablets utilize the Android operating system, you’ll find that you can install Kodi on and Android tablet quickly and easily.
Our guide below will walk you through the process of setting up Kodi on an Android tablet. We also provide some interesting information on the best addons for Kodi, why you should consider a VPN for your Android tablet, why Android is an excellent operating system for Kodi users, and which tablets make the best Kodi streaming devices.
Before we Proceed
We highly recommend using a VPN when using Kodi. Kodi users have been known to receive copyright infringement notices for streaming movies, sports, and TV shows through various addons. If you would like to keep your streaming habits private, our recommendation is IPVanish - a complete privacy solution for Kodi users. It's also worth noting that purchasing a 12 month subscription will give you two months free.
How to Install Kodi on Android Tablets
All Android tablets use a complete version of Android. We say this because at times, some Android-based devices, more notably TV boxes, will use a modified version of Android that requires some additional steps to install Kodi. Thankfully, your Android tablet can install Kodi directly through the Google Play Store with ease!
To setup Kodi on Android tablet, do the following:
- Go to your Google Play Store
- Type the word Kodi into the search bar
- Click on Kodi, and then click on Install
- You will now find the Kodi application on your Android tablet (if it’s not on one of your home screen tabs, check your Apps section)
Kodi on Android: Version Limitations
To properly use Kodi on Android tablets, you will need to check to make sure your Android operating system is compatible.
To run the current Kodi version 17.1 “Krypton,” you will need Android 5.0 or above.
How to check your Android OS version:
To check whether your Android tablet operating system will work with Kodi, do the following:
- Go to your Settings
- Locate and tap on About tablet or About device (the location of this in your settings will vary by device and Android version)
- Locate where it says Software info and tap on it
- This will show you your Android version. As long as the version is above 5.0.0, you are in the clear and should be able to run the latest version of Kodi with no problem
Become Kodi Android Beta Tester
Kodi allows users to download and play with test builds for new and upcoming versions. As an Android tablet user, you can get in on this as well. Kodi utilizes a very active development process, so you’ll find that the application updates to new versions at least twice a year. However, if you’d like to try out those beta versions before they hit the Google Play Store, you can do so with just the push of a button.
To become a Kodi beta tester, do the following:
- From the Kodi Google Play Store page, scroll to the bottom
- Locate where it says Become a beta tester
- Click on I’M IN
- The process will now begin to sign you up to become a Kodi beta tester automatically
- The process can take several minutes. Once it’s complete, you will be able to download beta versions of upcoming Kodi apps
And as with all Android devices, when the XBMC Foundation updates Kodi on the Google Play Store, your device can update it automatically for you as well, as long as you have the settings applied.
To turn on automatic updates for Kodi on Android tablets, do the following:
- Go to your Google Play Store
- Go to your Settings
- Click on Auto-update apps
- Select your auto-update option: “Auto-update apps at any time,” or “Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only”
Benefits of Kodi for Android Tablets
There are some notable advantages to using Kodi on an Android tablet over other devices. These include:
- Mobility. You can take your Android tablet anywhere
- Larger Screen size. This is a huge advantage for Kodi on an Android tablet over a mobile phone.
- VPN functionality. VPN apps work just as well on a tablet as an Android phone, making them good options for streaming
- Better sound quality. Many Android tablets have far better sound quality than what is available for Android mobile devices.
In our piece on the Best Kodi Devices, we discussed in depth the benefits and limitations of different Kodi devices, with a strong emphasis on the operating systems for those devices. While Windows computers are high on our list, we found that almost every device running Android was far superior to most other Kodi streaming devices on the market. The reason? Compatibility and functionality.
Android is an incredibly open operating system for developers. Even when device makers use a modified version of Android that limits access to Kodi from the Google Play Store, you can usually still install the app by sideloading it through a program such as ES File Explorer. Additionally, Android is both easy and cheap to develop for.
Meanwhile, although Kodi works on Apple computers, it’s painfully inoperable with Apple’s mobile devices, such as the iPad. Part of the reason is because Kodi is an open source program, and Apple’s developer rules effectively prohibit open source programs. This is also why you rarely find free apps on iOS devices like the iPad, while you’ll find a plethora of free apps available for Android devices like tablets and mobile phones.
Why Download a VPN for Android Tablets
With Kodi installed, it’s a good idea to pair a VPN app with you streaming. We discussed this a little bit earlier, but it’s good to reiterate it here. Kodi streaming is not private. They are sourced from different websites via the third party addons that many of you likely use. Some ISPs will actively monitor web traffic and activity, and if they see something they don’t like, they may send copyright infringement notifications to users.
VPNs work by both encrypting your data and streaming habits, but also use methods to anonymize your identity. That way, your ISP can only see how much data you’re using, but not where that data is coming from or going to.
As Android tablets use a full version of Android, you’ll find it very easy to install and operate a VPN app on your device. To read more about different VPN programs and how we rated them, click here.
Best Addons for Kodi on Android Tablet
If you’re downloading Kodi for the first time, you’ll realize pretty quickly that the program is empty. By policy, the XBMC Foundation (which develops Kodi) publishes the application without any addons. This is so users can personalize it in whatever way they want. Most users do this through both addons.
Addons are the programs you’ll be using to access a wide variety of TV, movies, live TV and even radio that Kodi can pull and display.
For those interested in on-demand movies, the best addons available for Kodi include:
Of these, Exodus is going to be your most popular go-to. The program has been around for several years and has gone through a large number of upgrades and changes. It was recently acquired by TVADDONS, which is now redeveloping the addon and rolling out new features. Exodus allows you to stream movies on-demand across a large number of different categories and languages. You’ll also find options for searching the addon for specific movies you want or even cycle through movies based on year. Exodus, as well as most other addons like it, scrape information from websites like IMDb, so you’ll be able to read up on movies before you click play.
TV Show Addons
For those looking to their favorite on-demand TV shows, the best addons available for Kodi include:
You’ll probably notice some repeats on this list from the on-demand movies list. That’s because many, but not all of the on-demand addons specialize in both. Of this list, Exodus does extremely well by having access to a very large library. However, we highly favor and recommend BBC iPlayer (iPlayer WWW). The content from there comes directly from the BBC, and the streaming quality is absolutely top-notch. Furthermore, you’ll find that the streams rarely go down, if at all, while you’ll have access to the BBC’s excellently produced comedies, dramas and nature productions.
Live TV, IPTV, and Live Sports
Live TV and IPTV are increasingly popular these days, and Kodi is probably the best place to access all of these in one neat package. Some Kodi addons even offer tens of thousands of live TV channel from across the world in a way that’s effectively impossible to find using a standard TV and cable package.
If you’re looking for great live TV, IPTV, or live sports, the following addons should provide:
- cCloud TV
- Goodfellas 2.0
- Made in Canada IPTV
- BBC iPlayer
- Pro Sport
Unlike with the on-demand movie and TV streaming addons, live TV addons tend to vary significantly. In this case, while you might find some of the same channels available in many of these options, you won’t always find the same quality. And in many cases, the actual interface is often very different.
Among the live TV options above, cCloud TV is quite possibly one of the best addons around. cCloud TV streams over 40,000 channels from across the world. While English language channels take up a good bit of what cCloud TV offers, you’ll find an incredibly large and varied mixture of channels streaming from French, German, Spanish, and Arabic-speaking countries, as well as Japanese, Chinese, and Korean channels streaming live and direct from those countries.
When it comes to sports, we find that sports-specific addons are a good option, but they’re not always the best option. Addons like SportsDevil are an excellent option for sports fans, but it can be difficult to find working streams at times, especially when popular games and big events are playing. Through testing, we’ve found that more general live TV addons offer a good alternative to sports-specific Kodi addons, as the general live TV addons tend also to carry the same channels that you’re looking for. At times, we’ve found more luck with certain sports streams using the general live TV addons than with the sports-specific ones.
Best Android Tablets For Kodi
If you’re still shopping around for a good Android Tablet for Kodi, few available options really shine. From our perspective, the best Android Tablets for Kodi should meet the following criteria:
- Inexpensive. If you’re just looking to turn your tablet into a Kodi streaming device, there’s no reason to spend a lot of money. Many Android tablets are very cheap to purchase.
- Good user ratings. Low cost often comes with poor quality. When shopping for a good Android tablet, it’s good to weigh the low cost with good quality.
- Updated Android operating system. Make sure the tablet you’re purchasing is using at least Android version 5.0.0 or above
- Decent memory: Poor RAM will lead to loading and streaming issues. While you won’t need a lot, 1-2GB should do you well.
- Good battery life. Especially for when you’re streaming through Kodi on the go, a good battery life is an essential component. Tablets tend to have better battery life than phones due to a larger battery without significantly increased power usage.
The following Android tablets fit those criteria well:
- Amazon Rating: 4.1/5 stars
- Size: 7”
- Battery life: 9 hours
- Android version: 5.1
- Price: $108
- Amazon Rating: 4.0/5 stars
- Size: 8”
- Battery life: 8 hours
- Android version: 5.0
- Price: $129
- Amazon Rating: 4.0/5 stars
- Size: 11.5”
- Battery life: 6 hours
- Android version: 6.0
- Price: $97