There are so many streaming options out there nowadays. And with so many choices, customers need to pick and choose which services they use with more care and attention. Two popular services you might be hesitating between are HBO Max and Starz. Both of these services allow users to enjoy a wide selection of entertainment.
However, they have some big differences that set them apart. Below, we’ll look at how HBO Max and Starz compare. We’ll go over seven key areas, including pricing, original content, and compatible devices to help you find the best option for your budget and needs.
Blockbuster movies & addictive seriesSign Up
HBO Max is a streaming platform owned by WarnerMedia. It launched in 2020 in the US and has expanded to offer its services in other parts of the world. It is best-known for offering access to HBO shows and movies on-demand, as well as new Warner Bros. movies and other licensed content.
Claim Free TrialSubscribe Now
Starz is a cable and satellite TV network owned by Lionsgate. It operates as a 24-hour TV channel, as well as an on-demand streaming service. It was first launched back in 1994. Starz subscribers can enjoy a range of original TV shows, theatrically released movies, and more.
Let’s begin our comparison with one of the factors that matters the most for many people: price. How much is HBO Max? And how much does Starz cost? Well, there are some clear differences between the two in terms of pricing and payment plans.
- HBO Max – HBO Max offers two different payment plans for its subscribers. You can watch the service with ads for $10 a month or $100 per year. You can also sign up to HBO Max with an ad-free subscription for $15 per month or $150 a year. There is no free trial currently available with this service.
- Starz – Starz offers just one payment plan. It charges $9 per month for access to its content. There is also a 7-day free trial available with Starz. Therefore, you can watch for free for a week before deciding to commit.
- HBO Max – HBO Max’s original content includes popular shows like The Flight Attendant, Peacemaker, and Made for Love. There have also been exclusive movies made for the platform, like Zack Snyder’s Justice League.
- Starz – You won’t find any original films on Starz. However, you can find a wide range of original programs. This includes dramas like Outlander and The Girlfriend Experience. Comedy shows like Blindspotting and Run the World are also available.
In terms of original content, both platforms have their own unique shows to offer. HBO Max has a larger content of original library. Plus, it has films, while Starz does not. Therefore, HBO Max emerges as the winner in this category.
- HBO Max – Subscribers to HBO Max can watch a wide range of old HBO shows like The Wire, as well as licensed shows from other networks, such as Friends and The Big Bang Theory. Hundreds of movies are also available on the platform, like Studio Ghibli animations and Oscar winning classics.
- Starz – Starz offers a wide range of on-demand TV shows and films for viewers to enjoy. Some of the most popular shows on the service include American Gods, Black Sails, and Ash vs Evil Dead. Many classic movies are available on the Starz app, like Spider-Man: Homecoming and Groundhog Day.
Both HBO Max and Starz can run on a wide range of devices. There is no clear winner in this category, as both of the services are available on smart TVs, boxes, consoles, and more. Here are some of the devices that run both HBO Max and Starz.
- Android phones and tablets
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast
- iOS phones and tablets
- Smart TVs from LG, Samsung, Sony, and others
Many streaming services offer a range of 4K UHD content. This is one area in which both Starz and HBO Max fall behind. They both have some 4K content, but not a lot. You can watch new WB movies in 4K on HBO Max, but not much else. On Starz, some of the original shows are available in 4K, but most other content is limited to 1080p.
In terms of simultaneous streams, Starz has the edge. It allows users to stream on four different devices at the same time, HBO Max has a maximum limit of just three devices. So, if you want to share one account among family members or roommates, Starz is the better choice for a big group.
HBO Max has a simplistic and sleek interface. It features a minimalistic menu design, categories for finding your favorite shows, and a watchlist to keep up with your content. Starz also has a modern design, but lacks certain features. For example, it doesn’t offer recommendations and it can be harder to find certain types of shows or films.
Overall, both HBO Max and Starz are popular platforms with plenty of advantages. They both have a lot of good original shows, with HBO Max also boasting a lot of original films and a strong cinematic offering, thanks to WB. However, Starz has a slight edge in terms of price and simultaneous streaming.
The right choice for you will therefore depend on your personal preferences and situation. Those who want the best value may prefer Starz. Meanwhile, people who want the biggest content libraries may choose HBO Max.