With so many streaming services available today, it can be tricky to know which one to choose. Hulu and HBO Max are two popular examples, both offering their own unique content libraries and original programs, but how do they compare?
In this guide, we’ll look at HBO Max vs Hulu, covering seven key areas to see which service comes out on top in terms of pricing, original content, features, and more. Read on to learn all you need to know about choosing between Hulu and HBO Max.
HBO Max is a streaming platform owned by WarnerMedia. It launched in 2020 and operates in the US, Latin America, and parts of Europe, too. It offers exclusive HBO content and films, as well as a deep library of licensed content from other companies and has both an ad-supported and an ad-free payment plan for new users.
Hulu is a streaming platform owned by The Walt Disney Company and NBCUniversal. It offers its own original programming, as well as content from a wide range of networks, like ABC, NBC, and FX. Hulu launched in 2007 and is one of the longest-running streaming services, as well as one of the most affordable options.
To start off our comparison, let’s look at one of the most important factors for most people: price. If you want the best value for money, you need to pick and choose which subscription services you choose to pay for, as some offer much better value than others. Here’s how much you can expect to pay for HBO Max and Hulu:
- HBO Max – HBO Max offers two different payment plans for its members. There’s an ad-free plan, as well as a plan with ads, which is more affordable. You’ll need to pay $15 per month, or $150 a year, for the ad-free offering. The ad-supported plan costs $10 per month or $100 a year.
- Hulu – Hulu is one of the most affordable streaming services of all, but the price you pay will depend on which of the plans you opt for. You can choose an ad-supported version of Hulu for just $6.99 per month or $69.99 a year. There’s also an ad-free version for $12.99 per month. You can also subscribe to Hulu as part of bundles with Disney+ and ESPN+ from $13.99 a month.
Like many other streaming platforms, HBO Max and Hulu aim to attract new subscribers with their own original content. Here are some of the original shows and movies you can find on each of these services:
- HBO Max – Some of the most popular original shows on HBO Max include The Flight Attendant, Peacemaker, Made for Love, and Close Enough. There are also various original feature films on the platform, like An American Pickle and Zack Snyder’s Justice League.
- Hulu – Hulu has been producing original content since 2011, including shows like The Morning After, Battleground, 11.22.63, The Path, and The Handmaid’s Tale. There are also original Hulu films like Little Monsters, Palm Springs, Run, and Mother/Android.
- HBO Max – Subscribers to HBO Max can watch all of the old HBO shows, like The Sopranos, The Wire, and Game of Thrones, in addition to Warner Bros. movies and many other famous shows, such as Friends and The Big Bang Theory.
- Hulu – Hulu has thousands of TV episodes for fans to watch, featuring shows like American Horror Story, Castle Rock, Fargo, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and What We Do in the Shadows.
Both of these platforms offer a wide range of shows and movies on-demand for users, spanning genres like comedy, horror, drama, and romance.
- Android phones and tablets
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast
- iOS phones and tablets
- Smart TVs from LG, Samsung, Sony, and others
Most modern streaming services offer at least some 4K content. HBO Max and Hulu are no different. Both of these services provide some 4K viewing experiences. HBO Max, for example, offers the latest Warner Bros. movies in 4K UHD quality. Hulu, meanwhile, offers most of its original films and programs in 4K, too.
When comparing the two, Hulu has the edge, with a wider variety of content available in 4K. However, the 4K libraries on both services are always expanding, with new shows and movies added in the months and years ahead.
On HBO Max, you can stream on three different devices simultaneously, no matter which plan you’re on. On Hulu, you’ll have just two simultaneous streams on the regular plan. However, you can pay an extra fee to access the “Unlimited Streams” add-on and stream as many different devices on your own home network as you want.
Hulu is well-known for its simplistic and easy-to-use interface which has improved and evolved over the years to remain fresh and modern. HBO Max also has a user-friendly interface, with categories, a search function, and a watch list for users to keep track of their favorite content.
Both of these services do a good job in terms of interface and user experience, and there isn’t much between them in this aspect. So, no matter which one you choose, you should be getting a user-friendly experience.
Both HBO Max and Hulu are well-rated and popular streaming services with large content libraries and a lot of original programming. They are both recommendable to various users, from families with children to older couples or solo subscribers.
The right choice for you may depend on which shows and films you prefer. HBO Max has the advantage of Warner Bros. and DC Universe films and original shows like Game of Thrones. Meanwhile, Hulu has other popular content like The Handmaid’s Tale and The Girl from Plainville.